Sick of relying on McDonald’s to bring the big tasty back to get your fix?
Well, we have the thing for you!
After months of experimentation, we’ve created the closest possible recipe to the world-famous big tasty sauce.
Despite needing a healthy number of ingredients, our big tasty sauce recipe is actually quite straightforward.
If you want to learn more about what McDonald’s big tasty sauce is made of, the difference between tasty sauce and big mac sauce or pretty much anything else tasty sauce related, check out our FAQ’s under the below recipe.
Right enough gabbing, let’s get to the recipe:
Preparation Time: 5 Minutes
Marinating Time: 24 Hours
Total Time: 24 Hours
- 115g Full Fat Mayonnaise
- 115g Sour Cream
- 1 Egg Yolk
- 2 tbsp Ketchup
- 1 tsp Dijon Mustard
- 3 tsp Vegetable oil
- 1 Whole Cucumber, chopped finely
- 2 tbs white onion, chopped finely
- 1 Garlic Clove, Chopped finely
- 2 tsp White Vinegar
- 2 tsp White Sugar
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Liquid smoke (use 2 tsp of Smoked Paprika as a substitute to Liquid Smoke)
- 2 tsp Paprika
- 1 tsp Lemon juice
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the mayonnaise, sour cream, egg yolk, ketchup, mustard and vegetable oil. Whisk together until completely combined.
- Add in the cucumber, onions and garlic. Mix together until fully incorporated into the mayonnaise mixture.
- Next, add in the rest of the ingredients and mix until completely combined. Give your sauce a taste and add a little more seasoning if you think it’s necessary. If you want your sauce to be smokier, add a touch more liquid smoke or smoked paprika.
- Once you’ve got the sauce tasting just how you like it, leave it in the fridge overnight to thicken up and for those wonderful flavours develop.
FAQ's on Big Tasty Sauce
What is the big tasty sauce made of?
The ingredients to make the homemade tasty sauce is listed above so we won’t go over them again. Instead, we will focus on what the McDonald’s website says makes up their sauce.
According to the official McDonalds website, the following ingredients make up their famous big Tasty sauce:
- Rapeseed Oil
- Sour Cream (from MILK)
- Free Range EGG Yolk
- Spirit Vinegar
- Modified Maize Starch
- Natural Flavourings
- Acid (Lactic Acid)
- Dried Yeast
- Yeast Extract
- Thickener (Xanthan Gum)
- Preservative (Potassium Sorbate).
Can you buy big tasty sauce?
It doesn’t look like you can buy big tasty sauce online. There are many outlets selling burger sauce but this is more similar to the sauce found on big macs rather than the one found on big tasty’s.
What is the difference between the Big Mac and big tasty sauces?
The main difference between the two sauces is that the tasty sauce has a much smokier finish. This is achieved with the use of liquid smoke. However, if you cannot find liquid smoke you can substitute it for smoked paprika and achieve a similar finish.
Where can I buy Liquid Smoke?
Liquid smoke can be bought online and comes in a number of different varieties. The one we used in our recipe above was the Colgin Liquid Smoke Natural Hickory. We found this variety complemented the other ingredients and really made this sauce shine.