Total Time: 1 Hour 50 Minutes
- 175g Self-Raising Flour
- 175g Unsalted Butter, 2 tsp extra for greasing your loaf tin
- 100g Caster Sugar
- 5 tbsp Instant coffee granules (the stronger the better)
- 5 tbsp double cream
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp kosher salt
For the topping:
- 250g Mascarpone
- 6 tbsp icing sugar
- Coca Powder for dusting.
- The first thing to do is to preheat your oven to 170˚C (338˚F or Gas Mark 3).
- Grease the inside of your loaf tin and line it with enough baking parchment so you can easily pull the loaf out later.
- In a small saucepan, heat the cream with the coffee granules and mix until all of the granules have dissolved. In a separate bowl, mix 2 or 3 tbsp of this coffee cream mix with the mascarpone.
- Using a large bowl, cream the butter with both kinds of sugar using an electric whisk. Once the butter has become both pale and fluffy, add in and beat each egg one at a time. Once each egg has been fully incorporated, whisk in the remaining coffee cream and vanilla extract.
- The next step is to fold in the self raising flour and the salt until a smooth batter formed. Be careful not to work the batter to much otherwise your cake will be flat! Once smooth, tip the batter out into the loaf tin and bake in the center of the oven for 40-50 minutes. Use the old skewer trick to test if the cake is cooked all the way through.
- Once cooked, remove from the oven and leave for 5 minutes to cool in the loaf tin. Once the 5 minutes is up, transfer to a wire rack and allow to cool completely.
- The last step is making the topping. Using your sieve, sift the icing sugar into the coffee mascarpone mix you made earlier and whisk with your electric whisk until silky. A little salt might be a great addition here so make sure to give your topping a taste. Once it’s ready, spread the frosting carefully over the cooled cake and again, using your sieve, dust lightly with the coca powder to finish.
There you have it folks, the perfect cappuccino loaf cake! Super easy and a great addition to any afternoon tea.